Providing environmental assurance to markets, along with a robust framework for sustainable grape and wine production are important in branding Australian wine. AGW supports the recent decision to bring together resources from Entwine and Sustainable Australian Winegrowing into a unified national program for the Australian wine industry.
Entwine Australia was originally developed by WFA in 2009 to provide grape and wine producers with a voluntary national environmental assurance program, with the following objectives:
1. To improve the environment through the broad uptake of an internationally recognised, robust and defensible program;
2. To assure stakeholders that Australian wine is sustainably produced;
3. To communicate Australia’s approach to sustainable production of wine, to leverage the intrinsic value of Wine Brand Australia; and
4. To protect against risk of future market access barriers imposed by customers.
In 2015, WFA transferred ongoing management of this voluntary assurance program to The Australian Wine Research Institute (AWRI).
As market demands evolve and the scope of interests broaden to include a range of other aspects of sustainable grape and wine production, AGW will continue to support a progressive, robust and coordinated national approach, which provides the wine industry:
1. Sustainability – A sustainability framework that meets industry standards and encourages best practice in terms of environmental performance, biosecurity and social licence to operate.
2. Business – A system that provides benefit to businesses – by being is accessible and relevant to a range of businesses, encouraging continuous improvement and providing value to those who demonstrate leadership.
3. Transparency –Defensible and accurate data that represents regional and national resource use.
4. Market Access – A framework that will allow the wine sector to meet international expectations and maintain competitiveness.
5. Australian Wine Brand – An integrated approach that will leverage the Australian Wine Industry’s commitment to sustainability and adds value to Wine Brand Australia.
For further information about the National Sustainability Program, please contact the AWRI on 08 8313 6600 or visit www.entwineaustralia.com.au