Wine Industry Technical Advisory Committee
WFA’s Wine Industry Technical Advisory Committee (WITAC):
- reviews and provide technical input on wine production to Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ)
- provides technical input into international fora, including the Codex Alimentarius Commission and the OIV
- assesses technical requirements of trading partners and provide advice to WFA to liberalise these requirements
- Jonathon Breach - Accolade Wines (Chair)
- Nick Bruer - Pernod Ricard Winemakers
- Richard Angove - Angove Family Winemakers
- Frank Mallamace - Casella Family Brands
- Steve Guy - Wine Australia
- Iain Jones - Treasury Wine Estates
- Tim Gniel - Tarac Technologies
- Russell Johnson - Russell Johnson Consulting
- Peter Leske - Vina La Linea
- Andrew Weeks - Australian Vignerons
- Heather Fraser - Yalumba Wine Company
- Creina Stockley - The Australian Wine Research Institute (AWRI)
- Marcus Herderich - The Australian Wine Research Institute (AWRI)
- Mark Fitzroy - Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ)
- Gary Fan - Department of Agriculture & Water Resources (DAWR)
- Tony Battaglene - Winemakers' Federation of Australia (WFA)
- Sandy Davis - Minute Secretary
Terms of Reference
WITAC will comprise Australian wine makers and observers as determine by the Chair. It will meet four times each year and at other times when required.
WITAC will provide recommendations and advice to the Boards of WFA with regard to technical issues for the Australian wine industry, and for other related matters which may arise from time to time.
This advice will, inter alia and as required address:
- Identifying research priorities for the Australian wine industry.
- Standards development and preparation of applications and submissions to FSANZ.
- Provision of technical advice on technical market access issues, including, inter alia, OIV resolutions, Codex Alimentarius Commission and OIML.
- Any other technical related issue that requires a policy position from the wine sector.
The Chair of the Committee will be appointed by the Board of the WFA. Membership is open to WFA and WGGA members and is subject to approval by the Board of WFA and the Executive Committee of WGGA. Observers will be invited by the Chair as determined on an expert basis.
All decisions are based on consensus. The Committee is not a decision making body and all recommendations must be endorsed by the respective Boards of the Peak bodies before they become policy.