National Environmental Assurance Framework
In 2009, the WFA launched Entwine Australia to provide industry with a voluntary national environmental assurance program, with the following objectives:
- To improve the environment through the broad uptake of an internationally recognised, robust and defensible program;
- To assure stakeholders that Australian wine is sustainably produced;
- To communicate Australia’s approach to sustainable production of wine, to leverage the intrinsic value of Wine Brand Australia; and
- To protect against risk of future market access barriers imposed by customers.
WFA recognises that there are a number of sustainability programs and schemes being used by industry and encourage industry to utilise those which best suit their business needs.
Whilst the current national program is no longer administered by WFA, we continue to support a coordinated national approach, which provides the wine industry:
- Environmental Sustainability – An environmental sustainability framework that meets industry standards and encourages best practice.
- Business – A system that ensures environmental monitoring and encourages continuous improvement that results in business benefit.
- Market Access – A framework that will allow the wine sector to meet international environmental expectations and maintain competitiveness.
- Industry – Environmental data provided to industry that allows an accurate representation of regional and national resource use.
- Australian Wine Brand – An integrated approach that will leverage the Australian Wine Industry’s commitment to environmental sustainability and adds value to Wine Brand Australia.
WFA is working collaboratively with Australian Vignerons, Wine Australia, Australian Wine Research Institute and McLaren Vale Grape Wine and Tourism to review the existing wine industry programs to ensure the national program delivers on the points above and meets the needs of all Australian wine producers.